Water Is Life. Protect It. calls everyone to take action in the coming week:
1. GET UP! GO OUT THERE! If I told you someone was coming into your yard to poison your well, you would get up and go out there right? Get up! Go out there! Some of many good places to show up this week:
- Saturday: “Die-In” for Virginia’s Air and Water with Red Terry. Saturday, 2-3 pm with assembly at 1:30. Bell Tower on Capitol Square, 101 N. 9th Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219. Bring tombstones for clean air and water and be prepared to lie down. https://www.facebook.com/events/1562682110508889/
- Monday: Stand with Union Hill: The Buckingham County Board of Supervisors will hold a hearing on Monday, July 9, 2018 to hear public input regarding a rezoning request to allow the Atlantic Coast Pipeline to install a “man camp” across from the proposed Union Hill compressor station.
- Tuesday: UPDATE: According to the July 6, 2018, Staunton News Leader, the July 10 hearing was postponed by the Board of Zoning Appeals to meet requirements as described in the Code of Virginia for the appropriate advertisement of such hearings. A new hearing date will be set. Stand with Augusta County: The Staunton Board of Zoning Appeals will hold a hearing on Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 2 p.m. in the Staunton City Council Chambers, on Dominion’s storage of equipment on a lot owned by Staunton Tractor, an improper use of the property which (according to the notice of violation) makes it, “a contractors’ establishment, serving as an operation staging site for a contractor.”
2. WRITE Virginia State Water Control Board members Robert Dunn, Lou Ann Jessee-Wallace, Timothy G. Hayes, Roberta A. Kellam, G. Nissa Dean, Heather Wood, and Robert H. Wayland III ℅ Roberta A. Kellam, P.O. Box 205, Franktown, Virginia 23354 and ask them to meet immediately to stay construction of the Mountain Valley and Atlantic Coast pipelines until full erosion and sediment control plans are completed, until a needed stream by stream analysis is complete, until legitimate legal challenges against the permit process for both pipelines have had their day in court, until our latest public comments have been examined, and until the numerous environmental violations and court judgments already incurred by both pipelines have rightful investigation and consequences.
3. CALL Governor Ralph Northam and ask that he reappoint State Water Control Board Member and steady water protector, Roberta Kellam whose term ended June 30. Phone: (804) 786-2211 Email: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/constituent-services/communicating-with-the-governors-office/ Sample email comment: “I am writing to request that Governor Northam reappoint Roberta Kellam to the SWCB. Her knowledge and history with regard to Virginia’s water safety is invaluable. She has demonstrated fairness and discipline with regard to oversight of water safety standards and related permitting processes. Thank you for this consideration.”
4. CAMP! Sign up to visit the Miracle Ridge No Pipeline Summer Camp organized by the Limpert family and Chesapeake Climate Action Network. Witness and protect the old growth forest the Atlantic Coast Pipeline proposes to level. http://chesapeakeclimate.org/blog/no-pipeline-summer-magic/#.WzqQ0ROdR0Q.facebook
5. TELL the story to the newcomer! You were shocked by the facts of the corrupt robberies that are the ACP and MVP. Keep sharing those facts. Letter to the Editor week? Some sources for that are here, but each member group of the Water is life. Protect it. Coalition and many other grassroots groups in Virginia have facts and videos you can share. Here’s a fun fact for the newcomer: https://www.facebook.com/waterislifeprotectit/videos/2222624577763952/
6. WATCH! Keep your eyes open. The citizen monitoring work to show Virginians and their leaders when and where the pipeline construction companies are violating our laws and their permits still needs more help. FOR ACP: CSI Pipeline Monitoring
FOR MVP: Mountain Valley Watch https://powhr.org/mvwatch/
7. JOIN! a pipeline resistance group near your heart and near you and help them. You, your talents, and your donations are needed.
8. ENLIGHTEN & ENLIST! 27 City and County Democratic Committees have issued public letters to Governor Northam asking that construction on the MVP and ACP be stayed until all the vital information is complete, until violations have been addressed, and until pending legal challenges to their permits have had their day in court. In addition to the 18 in the link below, Shenandoah County, Albemarle County, Charlottesville City, Madison County, Alexandria, Louduon CoUnty and the city and county of Charlotte have sent such letters. Work with your community’s Democratic or Republican Committee to approve such a letter. https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia-democrats-release-statement-against-mountain-valley-pipeline-atlantic-coast-pipeline