- This event has passed.
Spruce Creek Camp/Gathering
October 19, 2018 @ 3:00 pm - October 21, 2018 @ 11:00 am
Spend the day or stay overnight at Spruce Creek Camp in Nelson County, Virginia on land threatened by the Atlantic Coast Pipeline.
The biggest regional land-clearing project since the federal highway program of the 1960s is now underway in Virginia. In order to build the Atlantic Coast and Mountain Valley pipelines, Dominion Energy and EQT are targeting vulnerable communities, destroying precious ecosystems, and threatening the livelihoods of Virginians far and wide.
Enough is enough. Join us in Nelson County this October for a peaceful and family-friendly encampment on the property of the Averitt’s. The Atlantic Coast Pipeline is slated to go right through their property, destroying beautiful Spruce Creek and cutting through the heart of Nelson County’s tourist attractions.
- Spruce Creek Camp is located at the base of Wintergreen.
- A first aid center with emergency phone service will be available at the camp, as well as a full-time coordinator to greet you and provide assistance as needed.
- Please bring your own camping equipment, folding chair and flashlight.
- There are wild animals in the area and for the safety of everyone, we ask that you keep your food tied up in a tree or locked in your car.
- Sharing food on site will be allowed. The Averitt’s will be sharing their food at the camp making gluten free and vegan dishes. There are also several restaurants in the area close by should you choose.
- You will have the option to participate in community meals, hike, watch pertinent movies, listen to featured speakers and participate in community forums to discuss ongoing resistance to the ACP in Nelson County. Off property hiking, biking and suggested areas where the ACP would have an effect close by will be suggested for campers who are interested in venturing out on their own.
*** You must sign up prior to arrival to join the camp.***
Note: Cell service is limited for most providers except for Sprint.
Contact Deborah and or Sam for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to watch a presentation from the Congressional Briefing landowner (and camp-out sponsor) Richard Averitt, participated in earlier this month sponsored by the Niskanen Center. It is 11 minutes long and deeply personal. It will surely shed light on the human side of the abuse of Eminent Domain and the entirely unnecessary Atlantic Coast and Mountain Valley Pipelines.
Friends of Nelson welcomes event listings from all related groups who are working to oppose the Atlantic Coast Pipeline. To have your event listed on our calendar, please contact us at email@example.com.