We have provided expert comments to FERC, to the Virginia DEQ, and to the USFS on the impacts to Nelson County from the proposed Atlantic Coast Pipeline.
Our Economic Report documents the direct costs to Nelson County, property values and revenues from the pipeline.
Our Steep Slope Study describes the geologic challenges to Nelson County from the proposed pipeline, the removal of ridge tops, and the potential for erosion and landslides.
Our Water Monitoring Program has created a baseline water quality in Nelson County that the Virginia DEQ and Dominion must protect.
We have filed a federal lawsuit along with 14 Nelson County property owners against FERC, challenging their ability to use eminent domain to take properties along the proposed ACP route.
We continue to:
- organize landowners opposing survey and easement agreements
- keep our membership and landowners informed by regular public meetings, weekly e-mail updates, a consistent Facebook presence, and the Friends of Nelson webpage.
- network with other groups fighting the pipeline through the Allegheny-Blue Ridge Alliance
- represent you by deepening our legal standing and representation by Appalachian Mountain Advocates
- organize non-violent direct action training for citizens and landowners
We continue to build our legal cases, using community and property owner support, procedural challenges, scientific analysis, and professional-expert analysis.
Please make a donation to Friends of Nelson HERE or by sending a check made out to Virginia Organizing, notating ‘Friends of Nelson’ in the memo line to:
Friends of Nelson
P. O. Box 33
Nellysford, VA 22958
Thank you for your support and Keep in Touch!
Ernie Reed, President
Friends of Nelson