- This event has passed.
Ties That Bind Event
March 30 @ 9:30 am - 1:30 pm
Join other concerned citizens to make fabric braids that will be woven together into a huge #NoPipelines fabric sculpture, “The Ties That Bind.” Come see your work displayed at the Staunton Innovation Hub in May.
Ecoartist and poet Amelia L. Williams is coordinating community and environmental organizations, artists and concerned citizens to create a communally-made work in protest of the proposed Atlantic Coast Pipeline and Mountain Valley Pipeline.
Come on March 30, 2019, either 9:30 am or 1:30 pm (two different locations in Nelson County – details of locations after free registration) to join in making long fabric braids, adding decorative elements, and words of protest, hope, and support. You are invited to bring fabric that comes from your life, tells a story, or is linked to your pipeline resistance.
Fabric strips and all necessary materials will be provided, but your braid may be more special if you bring your own strips at least 4 feet long or enough pieces to knot together to make three 4-5 ft strips. Tell your story to be added to the exhibit:
- I love winter on the farm; this old scarf has seen me through some cold ones. May it help protect our land from the pipeline.
- I live in a city. The pipeline won’t be in my backyard, but I have learned how pipelines leak methane and make climate change worse, so I brought 3 green fabrics to show my care for the earth.
- I hike in the National Forest and don’t want the pipeline to cross the Appalachian Trail. I brought some old jeans and t-shirts I used to wear hiking.
- This is my son’s childhood twin bed set. The compressor station could affect children’s health and increase rates of asthma so I want to protect the children.
- I’m braiding old shirts and leaving the pockets accessible with “no pipelines” messages tucked inside.
Register here. Exact address will be sent by email to free ticket holders.
Friends of Nelson welcomes event listings from all related groups who are working to oppose the Atlantic Coast Pipeline. To have your event listed on our calendar, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.